Secret Of Sale
SECRET TO SALES
Sales have been a part of the world since time immemorial. Even before the monetary aspects of economics existed, sale not in its definitive terms that is in return to money, but as barter of different commodities was taking place. To convince somebody to exchange their product with what you have created, made or produced was no different than the contemporary activity of marketing.
This only lets us know that selling has been ingrained in our DNA without us even noticing. For a budding salesman, making their first sale, though monumental can be a daunting task. The salesman needs to know every aspect of not only the product that he is selling but also their targeted customer base, needs, aspirations, expectations of such customers. This can take a toll on the performance which in turn might lead to failure.
So a salesman needs to understand a few basic things about a sale to make it a smooth ride, for themselves, customers and the manufacturer.
- Understand what you are selling. Know your product inside out. All its qualities and short-comings. This way you would know the answer to all the queries a customer might have about the product.
- Sell the benefits, not the product: Customers today understand that market revolves around them. Their demands create trends and hence they are more aware than ever. Thus, it’s your job to let them know how your product is beneficial than its substitutes. Do not sell them the features of the product; instead, let them know how it is beneficial.
- Know that you are dealing with a fellow human. A customer is no alien and neither are you a robot. To have a conversation built inside your head is good, as it gives you a sense of direction, but do not strictly follow it, if the customer feels otherwise. Try to be as humane and as friendly as possible. Tell them about other customers who used and are satisfied with your product, i.e. give you sale a human touch.
Sell a product like you would like it to be sold to you.
Try to fit into a customer’s shoes and sales would be easier from there.
- Great Salesmen Convince and connect. To be able to take a conversation from one point to another is no less than skill. A good salesman is the one that can bring back a diverted conversation onto his point of interest. Convincing ability is another highly regarded quality of a salesman.
- Present yourself as a well-wisher. A person is likely to be influenced or convinced by another to whom he regards as one with his/her best interests at heart. Try and act like a consultant wishing to solve the problem that the person might have and then slowly introduce your product as a solution.
- Identify your strengths and limitations. A human is a mix of qualities and short-comings. Use your strengths to your advantage and try to avoid your limitations in getting into your way. For example, knowledge of a regional language or dialect may come in handy while making a sale as it makes the customer feels closer to the salesman.
Along with the aforementioned tips and tricks, there are several others, but all of them are of no use if not put the right use. A soldier is no soldier, if unable to yield his sword and sheathe in the battlefield. So it is of utmost importance that a salesman takes his work seriously, and while making any sale, big or small, puts in his maximum effort. Enjoy your work, and vibes tend to spread. Be joyful, and energetic and that energy shall spread in your surroundings. Have faith in yourself and do not let failures bring you down. Understand that one fall does not determine your life. Be confident of yourself and your product. Every sale is as much about you, as much it is about the product and the customer.